School History

  • The first formal school opened in Old Forge in 1894 with Jeanette Harvey as teacher and David Charbonneau as trusttee. Classes were conducted in a log cabin behind the Harvey home near the present community Hall. 

  • two room building was completed in 1895 on the present school site, but closer to the corner of Gilbert and Main Street. 

  • The school register for 1898-1899 includes 79 children, ages 5 through 18, all residents of this community. Subjects taught included: Reading, Penmanship, Arithmetic, geography, physical geography, spelling, Language, grammer, U.S. history, civil government, psychology and drawing. 

  • A second building, a wooden structure, was erected in 1907 where our present school now stands. The building burned in 1912 and a new building was erected in its place. This new building still exists as the central portion of our school. 

  • In 1927, two wings which housed classrooms, a large study hall and gym were completed. 

  • Additional classrooms and Gym were added in 1964, completing the existing building. 

  • Some High School education was offered after 1910, and Old Forge High School graduated its first three students in 1913. 

  • On May 9, 1919 the name Old Forge High School was changed to the Town Of Webb Schools because the name implies a school district included in a township. The name was later changed to the Town of Webb Union Free School District.

 

  • During the summer of 2000, the school went through a major renovation. Classrooms and offices were added, relocated, completely renovated, and updated. An elevator was added and the main entrance of the school was moved to the Gilbert Street side of the building.

 

  • On June 18, 2002, the school courtyard was dedicated to Dorothy Gifford. Dorothy was the school secretary at the Town of Webb School for 41 years and then dedicated 17 more years to the school as a volunteer.

 

  • October 2003, a new version of the school logo was created by Randy Church. (Graduating class of 2005). The new Eskimo was adopted in the Spring of 2004 as the official Town of Webb Schools "Eskimo".
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.